Chapter III : Shape and Numbers

Days when I wonder how serenity returned so effortlessly to your face. I do not ask with bitterness alone, but with quiet bewilderment. How does one walk so lightly after leaving another beneath the weight of promises that never reached tomorrow? I have searched your absence for an answer, yet all I have found is silence wearing the likeness of innocence.

Meanwhile, the wound remained faithful to me. It did not close because time insisted that it should, nor did it soften beneath the passing of seasons. It merely learned new disguises. To strangers, it became composure. To acquaintances, diligence. To myself, it became a familiar ache that no longer required acknowledgment to shape every decision I made.

So I surrendered myself to labor with a devotion I had once reserved for love. Each task became another hour borrowed from memory, another excuse to postpone the conversation I feared having with my own soul. I worked until the days blurred together, until exhaustion became more recognizable than peace, until achievement no longer felt like fulfillment but merely proof that I had survived another sunrise without collapsing beneath remembrance.

There is a peculiar emptiness in becoming useful to everything except yourself. The world praises endurance without asking what has been sacrificed to sustain it. They admire the steady hands, the unwavering discipline, the quiet reliability, never noticing that each accomplishment has been purchased with another fragment of one's humanity. I continued because stopping would require listening to the silence, and the silence still carried your name.

Gradually, I ceased measuring life by joy or sorrow. I measured it by function. I woke because there was work to be done. I rested only because the body demanded it. Somewhere between duty and fatigue, I misplaced the ordinary warmth of being alive. I did not become a machine, for machines know nothing of grief. I became something far lonelier—a man who remembered what it felt like to live, yet no longer knew how to return.

Perhaps the cruelest lesson was not that love can wound, but that it can alter the language with which we understand ourselves. Before you, I believed suffering was something one encountered. After you, I began to wonder whether it was something I had been fashioned to carry. Not because fate had declared it so, but because every attempt to outrun it seemed only to lead me deeper into its shadow.

The darkness I once believed I had escaped welcomed me without surprise. Violence returned as well, though not in the form the world expects. It lived in impossible standards I imposed upon myself, in the relentless refusal to forgive my own weakness, in the quiet destruction of every hope before it had the chance to disappoint me. The battlefield had never been beyond my walls. It had always existed within them.

Yet even now, I refuse to say that you created this darkness. You uncovered it. You revealed how fragile the peace within me had always been, how easily trust could become another instrument of ruin. The wound bears your memory, but it is my own heart that continues to carry it, day after day, long after your footsteps have faded beyond the reach of mine.

And so I no longer ask why you appear untouched while I remain here, gathering the scattered pieces of a life that still refuses to resemble the one I imagined. Such questions possess no answers capable of healing what they awaken. I ask only that, somewhere beyond the distance that now separates us, you never mistake my silence for the absence of consequence. There exists a man who still rises each morning, who still fulfills every obligation placed before him, who still offers the world a face it can comfortably recognize. But beneath that ordinary appearance lives someone forever changed, not because love found him, but because, after believing he had finally found a place to rest, he discovered instead that some hearts survive only by learning how to endure what they can never truly forget.

And I'm the one who ended listening to Taylor Swift again, alone.