Chapter I : The Quiet Forknowledge of Ruin
There comes a peculiar hour in a life already acquainted with fractures, when the heart, against every decree of reason, remembers how to bloom again. It does not announce itself with thunder, nor does it arrive clad in certainty. Rather, it steals into the ordinary moments, a familiar voice, an unguarded smile, the strange comfort of another soul existing close enough to disturb the silence one had long mistaken for peace.
I had believed affection to be a country from which I had quietly emigrated. The roads leading there had long since been overgrown, and I had grown accustomed to walking elsewhere, where expectation demanded little and solitude asked even less. Yet somehow, without permission or intention, my footsteps found that forgotten path again, as though the heart remembers directions the mind desperately tries to erase.
To discover love once more is not always a joyous revelation. Sometimes it feels less like the dawn and more like hearing an old wound whisper beneath newly healed skin. It is the unsettling awareness that while something beautiful has begun to breathe within you, something equally fragile has awakened beside it, a fear that never truly slept, only waited.
For there are pieces of us that survive every disappointment not because they have become stronger, but because they have become quieter. They hide beneath practiced smiles and measured words, convincing even ourselves that they no longer ache. Yet the moment hope returns, those hidden fractures remember their names, and every forgotten crack begins to tremble beneath the weight of possibility.
I wished, more than once, that I could offer an untouched heart, one unmarked by old farewells and unfinished endings. Instead, what I carried resembled weathered glass: still capable of reflecting light, yet forever aware of how easily another careless touch might scatter it into smaller pieces. Love did not frighten me because it was unknown; it frightened me because I remembered exactly what it was capable of taking.
And still, despite that knowledge, there remained an undeniable tenderness whenever thoughts wandered toward you. It was not reckless hope, nor blind devotion. It was something quieter, a willingness to believe, however briefly, that perhaps not every ending must resemble the ones before it. That perhaps kindness could exist without becoming another prelude to absence.
Yet even as my heart leaned gently toward that possibility, another part of me stood several steps behind, already preparing for the inevitable collapse. It gathered every fragile expectation before it had the chance to grow, rehearsing grief long before grief had any rightful place to exist. Loving again, I discovered, was not merely opening a door. It was inviting light into a house that still remembered the sound of its own walls falling.
So I remained suspended between two quiet truths. One part of me longed to believe that this time the story might unfold with gentler hands. The other had already accepted that if ruin were to come again, it would not arrive as a stranger but as an old acquaintance, knocking softly upon a heart that had never truly forgotten the cost of answering.